Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Lots of mini updates...

Wow, I realize that it’s been a few days since I have blogged on here. My bad. And there has been so much going on.

Thursday, September 27th, 2007

Two of the coolest people arrived in Kitale, Eva Joy and Caleb. Eva Joy and Caleb belong to a ministry called Africa Connect. Although we as TI have no direct partnership with their ministry, we are partnered with them in bettering the Kingdom and helping the children of this town, this country and this world.

I met them at the bus station (as Daniel was in Nairobi awaiting our fourth intern, Jared to fly in from Canada – more on that in a moment) and it was instant friendship. We felt so comfortable around one another. I had never met them before, although I had gone back and forth on myspace with Eva Joy, but even after a week and a half of them being here, I feel so comfortable around them. It’s like we’ve all known each other for years. It’s going to be a great six months with them.

Saturday, September 29th, 2007

As every awesome Saturday Kate, Amanda and I went out to the children’s home to spend the day with the kids. It was such a beautiful day and we had such a relaxing time with the kids. The kids had worked in their garden that morning, harvesting the maize and so as a present to them for all their hard work, us girls bought them sodas. They were so happy; soda is a luxury here so the kids were so thankful to us for buying them the sodas.

So, Jared our intern was supposed to arrive on this day. But it didn’t happen. Apparently Jared went to check in to the airport in Toronto, Canada on Thursday (27th) and they told him that his passport was too damaged and dirty and they would not accept it. Therefore, Jared could not get on the plane and thus, missed his trip to Kenya. It sucked big time as we were all excited to have him arrive that evening. But thankfully, Jared trusted in God and….I’ll give more update on that in a minute.

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007

On the way back home from town, Amanda, Kate, Daniel and I made a little pit stop to one of my favorite places to go – The Baby House (called Baby Rescue Centre). This was the first time that Amanda and Kate have been to the baby house and they were so excited to be going.

When we arrived, we saw the cutest thing ever. There were four little ones lined up in a row, sitting on brand new colorful potties. And then there was Mercy, sitting on her potty…two braids completed in her hair, the rest…..a huge afro. It was the cutest thing EVER.

(Gracie, Brian, Mercy & Hope - who wasn't comfortable with the new white people)
(Sweet Mercy)

After the children got off the potties, Brian and Mercy came running over to me, both of them wanting my lap. After covering them with tons of kisses and blow farts, Brian wanted some guy bonding time with Daniel. I think Daniel was more than welcoming of that.

Then my sweet little Isaiah woke up. What a beautiful little baby he is. He’s about 6 months old and has one of the biggest smiles ever. As soon as I saw his eyes open, I ran for him in his bassinet. He welcomed my arms and kisses with a huge smile and a little giggle. He is a little top heavy (he’s got a belly on him) so when you sit him up he immediately falls forward. It’s so funny to watch and he doesn’t seem to mind his face in the grass at times. Yeah, he’s one that I would definitely steal and bring home with me.

Thursday, October 4th, 2007

It’s Faith’s, Hope’s and Caitlin’s birthday today!!!! I hope they all had amazing birthdays.

The most amazing new restaurant opened in Kitale. We have been going to its ‘sister’ restaurant called Twigs forever now. Daniel and I have been “im”patiently waiting for the new one to open and it did!!!! It’s called Iroko (EEE-row-ko) Boulevard and it’s got this awesome outside patio that looks out over one of the main streets). It has a huge inside dining room and a cute little VW bug like car (but it’s not) hanging from the ceiling. Brilliant!!!

The owner went to university in the US for architect and minored in interior design; the guy knows how to build an awesome restaurant – and at affordable prices for the average Kenyan. Amanda, Kate, Daniel and I just had to go to the opening; it’s going to be our new hangout now. J
Thursday’s, as I’ve said before, are one of my favorite days of the week. It’s the day that we really spend time with street girls. We went to our usual place behind the Nyayo House to see and visit with the street girls. It was a bit quiet back there this particular day but I did get to see my Rose.

When we arrived, I saw the same mother (from previous Thursday blogs) sleeping on her sack in her usual place. What scared me was that I didn’t see her little boy; the one I fed biscuits to a few weeks back. He’s no more than two years old and she’s sound asleep; what could be happening to this little boy. As we sat down on the stairs at the back of the building, I saw the curly hair in the distance. Amanda and I saw him at the same time and then he saw us. A smile crossed this little boy’s face and he came running toward our direction. It was cute; he would come running to us but then about 15 feet away, stop, stare at us and then take the LOOOONG way around to get to Amanda and me but he finally made it to us. And within a few minutes was off again. His mom, never waking up and wondering where he was. Another little boy that I would love to take home with me. Wow, the list of children keeps getting longer.

After sitting behind the Nyayo House, we grabbed the street kids and headed to the weekly feeding program. Funny story: so we’re walking to the feeding program, Rose and I walking a few steps in front of the rest of the gang. Walking toward all of us is a group of about 20 high school boys. I don’t see anything or think anything of it. I greet them all and Rose and I keep walking. A few minutes later, Daniel tells me that as I walked by all the high school boys, they all cranked their necks around to continue watching me. As they turned their heads back around, Daniel singles out one of them and says, “Do you like looking at my wife?” All of the boys are shocked but then starts laughing at the one that Daniel has drawn his attention to. So Daniel asks, “Why are you looking at my wife?” The boys all answer in Swahili, “She’s very good.” Meaning, I’m nice to look at. Yeah, high school boys and puberty time. I don’t think so!!! Thankfully my dear “fake” husband is always there to protect me. :-)

Moving on to the feeding program. One of the kids snuck in to the compound with his glue bottle (which we don’t like) so Daniel took it. At one point, Daniel fell asleep with the glue bottle. Amanda got a picture of it. No worry, Daniel is NOT becoming a glue sniffer.
(Daniel sleeping with glue)

An amazing thing happened at the feeding program today too. Juma, one of the Kenyans that assist in running the feeding program, asked the question to the kids if anyone didn’t know Christ and wanted to know Him. There were six children that raised their hand so Juma asked if they truly wanted Christ with them to go to the front and they did, my sweet Rose being one of them. And then in Swahili, they repeated the prayer, the prayer to accept Jesus Christ. It was totally awesome. We were in awe of it. Thank you so much Lord. They are rejoicing in the heavenlies today!!!

Friday, October 5th, 2007

For those of you who don’t know, today is a very special day to my friends and I. Okay, a special day for me. It’s my 31st birthday. Yaaaaay!!!

So, we planned a big party for me tonight. We (actually Daniel) barbequed goat (it’s amazingly good!), made rice with a spicy soap sauce to go on top, chapattis (it’s like a tortilla but a little greasier), Daniel’s amazing potato salad, sweet corn (yeah, you can buy it frozen here….first time for the Kenyans to eat it), sodas and cake.

Daniel and I went out today and did a bit of last minute shopping. The sweetest thing we bought: a volleyball net and ball. So Caleb and Daniel set it up in our backyard for the party. When the party started and before it got dark, everyone was playing volleyball and then dinner was served. Daniel and I also bought kerosene lanterns and set them up in the four corners of the gazebo; when it got dark out, it was so beautiful to have the gazebo softly lit.

After dinner, Todd led me out to our gazebo and I suddenly got nervous (I’ll explain why in a minute). I asked Todd why he was leading me out to the gazebo, was it so that they could dump water on my head (a birthday tradition in Kenya – when they celebrate birthdays). Todd said that he thought it was for the birthday cake with candles. Then I saw everyone come outside with Kate and Amanda who had the cake with the candle in it. I breathed a sigh of relief. They sang happy birthday; I blew out my candle; everyone clapped; I gave a thank you speech and then Kate left to cut the cake. Or so I thought.

From the corner of my eye, I see a blue basin. I look at Todd and said, “You lied to me!!!” all the while laughing my head off. But it wasn’t a basin full of water; it was a basin full of water balloons. Ready, aim, fire!!!! Yeah, I got smacked and good. The jeans, the top – soaked. And thankfully, some innocent bystanders were hit as well.
(a wig, a mask, a fog horn, Barbie bubbles for my b-day gift from Todd - and Amanda in the background)


(This is Todd wearing the wig he bought me. I promise, he's not drunk or high...just having fun!)

After the cake was eaten and presents open, we all went out to the gazebo, with the kerosene lanterns lit to give a nice glow in the dark. Daniel and a few others (Jimmy and Caleb) pulled out the guitars, Mina on the drum and we spent the next two hours singing worship songs. It was awesome, totally amazing. A whole slew of us, sitting around together, in a relaxed, informal setting, praising God. What a way to spend a birthday!!!

(Caleb, Jimmy, Daniel & Mina)

I love birthdays. I love that we get to celebrate the birth and life of someone we love. I’m not a freak about my age because a few years ago, I came to a place with myself and God where I just said, “I’m not planning it anymore. You do it God.” And although it’s been rough a few times, I am on an amazing adventure in my life right now. I am so thankful to Him!

Saturday, October 6th, 2007

Jared made it!!! It was so awesome to see him and Daniel pull up in the taxi this afternoon. I was so excited to see Jared get out of the car. I just ran over to him and gave him the biggest hug.

Thank you to everyone who sent something for Daniel and me along with Jared. I love each and every thing I received: the books, the clothes, the M&M Peanuts (yummy!!). You guys at NAC are the best!!! I love you all!

Also, one of our interns, Kate, has left for Sudan for ten days with another ministry from her church back in the US. Please pray for her during that time: for protection and yet adventure, God’s adventure.

Sunday, October 7th, 2007

After dinner tonight, the six of us (Amanda, Jared, Eva, Caleb, Daniel and I) sat around the table and talked. It was a deep, spiritual talk. We confessed things, shared things, discussed things and then we spent the next hour with our heads down, in prayer. We prayed out loud, some of us crying, some of us laughing. It has been a bit of a rough week for me, and so it was so wonderful that afterwards, together, we felt so ignited, so refreshed and in so much anticipation of what God has in store for each of us and us as a body of Christ. We felt closer to one another; it was such a needed time of conversation and prayer together; as a unit.

Additional Stuff

We have a great group of Canadians that are coming in two weeks to stay with us for a week. Awhile back, they asked us if we could help them do a huge food distribution day while they are here. Of course we said yes. So the past few weeks, we’ve been getting together and interviewing the neediest families in the area that could benefit from this distribution. The amount of money that we received from this group coming in is going to be able to feed over 50+ families.

We have already purchased some of the food, and it’s being stored in our garage right now. The rest we will get a few days before the actual distribution day. We are getting organized in the packaging of the food for each family, the transportation for the sacks and sacks and sacks and sacks of maize, beans, etc. that will be distributed and the route of travel that we will take to ensure that all 50+ families receive their food in that allotted day.

We are really excited for the day to come. It’s going to be on Tuesday, October 23rd, 2007. So please keep that day in your prayers as well. I know we’ll be taking lots of pictures and for sure I will post them as soon as I can, after the event.

Other than that, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. Because my birthday was so close to Thanksgiving, we didn’t celebrate it but we will for sure celebrate the American Thanksgiving on November 22nd.

Oh yeah, Jared relayed the messages to me from some of you at church. Thank you to those of you who insisted that Jared tell me that you do read ALL of my blogs/messages and read each and every part of it. Thank you to those who believe in me and what I’m doing here. I only hope that my blogs/messages give you a slight picture of life here, of me here, but mostly of God here. He gives me strength when I am weak. He comforts me when I feel lonely or sad or burdened. He hugs me and tells me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made when I feel unworthy. How awesome He is!

Prayer Requests:
1) Kate’s safe and adventures in Sudan (she’s back to Kitale on the 15th)
2) Upcoming food distribution day – that all goes well and is organized
3) For the six street children (including my Rose) who asked Jesus Christ in to their hearts on October 4th.
4) For the continued unity with all of us in this house

I love you and miss you all!!
Meredith
xoxoxo

No comments: