Monday, September 24, 2007

Sunday Service

Yesterday’s service was awesome. What was different about it really, I don’t know but it was great.

Amanda, Kate and I danced during worship service. Later we were told that most of the people in the church were swinging their hips; which was awesome.

But the best part of it – hearing the little kids sing, sing at the top of their lungs. For example, some of the songs we sang “Lord, I Lift Your Name on High” and “Heart of Worship” and these kids, ranging from six to ten years old were singing every word with such a passion (and with their little Kenyan accents). It was such a beautiful sound.

I found the American Idol episode on youtube when Josh Groban sang “You Raise Me Up” with the African Children’s Choir (go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OOhd6R2EiY) if you want to see it too). It aired a few months back, while I was here in Kenya so I never got to see it but my cousin sent me the link. I finally downloaded it on Saturday to watch it. I sat in my house and cried…ok, sobbed. The beauty of the children and some of them singing with their eyes closed and hearts open. It was just beautiful.

And then yesterday at service, to hear the children, the African children, sing with their hearts to God, was just amazing. Amanda, Kate, Daniel and I all watched them, smiles on our faces as we watched the smiles on their faces while they sang. I hope to someday get it on video so that I can post it for you all to see. It would bring a tear to your eye; a good tear.

In a place, a country, where the children have barely anything, if nothing at all, and the smiles that light up their faces when they sing out to God is just amazing. It is the child-like faith that God calls us to have. It is the pure joy of loving and worshiping God, no matter what life is throwing at us, no matter what the circumstances are. It’s trusting in Him that He will truly provide. And the children have that – they have that faith, that innocence, that joy. If only we could be like them; I know I want to try.

Mungu Akubariki
xoxoxo

No comments: