Monday, December 31, 2007

Email to friends...Another Kenyan Update

Hi Everyone:

Just a quick update for you all.

Last night, I couldn't sleep. It was last night that I could finally release everything. Daniel was finally home safe, Faith was in England, everyone was in their beds. We were okay and then I just sobbed. I sobbed for the gun shots that I could still hear, praying that there weren't going to be more orphans created tonight, that innocent blood would not shed anymore. I just prayed and sobbed. I sobbed for so many people, so many children.

We, here in Kitale are pretty much shut down. We're in town now using the internet cafe. Almost every shop is closed; we managed to find the odd butcher or market stand open to buy enough bread, ground beef and vegetables to last a few days. They are charging higher than normal prices (especially the bread).

There is no phone credit in town; all is sold out, so we are trying to use our phones as little as possible. We have a few connections of people we know who may be able to assist us getting the phone cards as that is our only way to communicate right now (once we leave town and get home as our home internet service is down).

Because almost every day last week was a holiday and then the rioting started, there hasn't been much business in town. Therefore, there is a lack of supplies and most importantly, a lack of gas. All the gas stations in our town are closed and covered up as they have run out of gas.

There are more rumours spreading of more governmental things that will be happening today (this afternoon). I thank everyone for your phone calls, your text messages and your emails. It's been a wonderful support for all of us. We appreciate them and ask that you keep them coming, no matter what time of day or night it is.

I will continue to update you all as best as I can. I love you all very much and I am so thankful for each of you.

God Bless,
Meredith

No comments: