Monday, December 17, 2007

Mouse in the House...

I woke up this morning around 6:10. I was barely out of my bedroom, en route to take a shower when I heard, “Meredith, Meredith, Meredith!” in a bit of a panic sound.

I ran to Faith and Aly’s room and swung open the door. There was Faith on the top bunk with a freaked out look on her face. “Meredith, there is something in my drawer. I’ve been sitting on my bed for at least 30 minutes because I heard this noise coming from my drawer. I don’t know what it is but I’m afraid it’s going to jump out at me.”

At this point, Aly has woken up to our voices.

We are very quiet and sure enough, there is a scratching sound coming from the dresser in their bedroom. I quietly go over to the drawers and start opening them. The noise stops. I’m coming up empty; don’t see anything. I pause for a moment; the noise starts up again.

Aly starts pulling the drawers right out of the dresser and when she comes to the second last one, without saying a word, she jumps back, her eyes wide with fear.

It’s Rusty the Rat.

We call Daniel on his cell phone, “Yeah Daniel, you need to come and get this mouse out of the girl’s bedroom. Like NOW!!!” Daniel to the rescue.

Daniel brings in a plastic container with a lid, pulls out the final drawer and voila the rat is free…in the bedroom. Daniel captures the rat in the container but unfortunately the lid is not the right one. And after some fighting with the lid and the rat, the rat one. He jumped out of the container. And I jump up on to the bed in what Daniel called, “an awesome gymnastic move” and there goes the rat under the bed. Daniel gets him to come out, around the room it runs. Thankfully we have the door closed so it’s cornered in one room.

I then decide (as it goes under the other bed) to get the broom to better be able to scoop up the rat. I run out of the room close the door and dart for the kitchen. As I come back to the bedroom, I ask if I can go in, “NOT YET” Then I get the okay to go in; the rat is on the other side of the room. Apparently I was too slow because as I open up the door to go in, out runs the rat, over me (I screamed!) and in to the sitting room and under the couch.

We have now overturned the couch, and the chairs, opened up the outside door from the sitting room to the veranda and barricaded the door from the sitting room to the hallway leading to the dining room and kitchen. But nope, the barricade didn’t stop the rat; over the barricade he went and darted for the kitchen. Here we all go, Faith, Daniel, Aly and I, to the kitchen to get freaked out by the rat even more.

Earlier, in the sitting room, I gave Daniel the broom so when we got to the kitchen, I grabbed the other one. At one point, Daniel had scooped out the rat from under the counter in a side room and the rat headed toward me, to which I let out a little shriek. Daniel looked at me and then he said those magic words, “You’re from Canada. The broom is a hockey stick.”

I AM WAYNE GRETZKY.

So the rat comes around the corner, goes to dart behind the stove but nooooo…Meredith (that’s me) is there with her mighty broom…I mean hockey stick. She swoops the broom…I mean hockey stick…down against the rat and sweeps….I mean slap shots…it over to Daniel. Perfect shot…right in to his broom….I mean hockey stick. Daniel turns, he sweeps…I mean shoots…and SCORE….right out the door goes the rat.

VICTORY!!!

No worries, the rat was never hurt (just really tired from all that running to save its own life) and rather than killing it (as suggested by Kenyans), we freed it back in to the wild. I wonder how long it will be before the stupid thing comes back.

And that all happened before 6:30 in the morning. What a way to start the day, isn’t it?

No comments: