Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Kenya Update...and Excited!!!

As some of you may have been following CNN or BBC on the on-goings of Kenya’s political chaos, there was to be a 3-day rally, beginning today, across the country.

The rally was to begin this morning and amazingly it rained, heavy rains, this morning so the rallies couldn’t begin. Especially in the rough rioting areas of Nairobi and Eldoret. Rain!?!?!? I love it.

However, as the day goes on right now, the rain has subsided and some of the rallying has begun. The news is telling us of some tear gas taking place in downtown Nairobi. The city centre has been blocked off; people can only leave the city centre, no one can enter it.

I just talked to my friend in Eldoret; they are currently (as of 3:30 pm) rallying in the town streets. Thousands of people are marching the streets; but thankfully, it’s peaceful. As of right now and as far as my friend knows there are no burning of buildings, cars or tires. There is no violence of beatings or killings. Even the police are allowing the rally to take place; the people aren’t causing problems and being peaceful about it so there is no need to cause problems. We can only pray that it continues to go that way.

I have heard; however, that there is major rioting in Kisumu right now. The police are shooting their guns in the air to try to break up the rioting. Let’s pray that no one is seriously hurt or killed in this place. No more violence.

There wasn’t much police around in Kitale town today. Amanda and I did see an army vehicle filled with soldiers, with full gear on. Town, for the most part was peaceful. There didn’t seem to be much, if any tension in the air.

I just pray that this rally lasts today and if so, it remains a peaceful one.

On another note, wow, I’m off to Canada in 9 days. Time is flying by quickly; there is still much to be done here as I will be gone for about 4 weeks. This Saturday, I hope to spend time with our kids at the children’s home as it will be my last Saturday with them for at least a month.

I’m feeling good about going to Canada; God has given me the peace to leave. I’m really excited to spend time with my family (I get to meet my new nephew!!!!) and friends. I’m excited about the speaking engagements that are coming my way. I’m excited for the time to spend with God and the restoration that He wants me to have. I have peace that He will protect my family here in Kenya and with that…I’m ready to come to Canada for a few weeks. I’m EXCITED!!!

Love you all!
Meredith
xoxoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u are great! i'm dreaming of moving to africa....think i'll come there soon! love from italy