Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thursday Travels...Kenya Update

Prayers are needed. The opposition party in Kenya is calling for a “Prayer Day” on Thursday; well at least that is the updated report. This is the day that Jared and I leave the fairly safe-haven of Kitale and venture through Eldoret to Nairobi.

First of all, I have to say that the Canadian Embassy/Canadian High Commission has been awesome through all of this instability in Kenya. During the high violent times, I was getting a phone call every day from them, confirming my whereabouts and my safety. They had already outlined my escape route for me to get out of Kitale should things get bad here. They, including pretty much all major Embassies, had contacted our Kitale airport (which consists of a blue building to store the odd airplane and a little shed like building as the control tower) to expect planes to fly in should they need to get any of “their people” out.

Yesterday, the Canadian High Commission called me to just check in. I told them about my plan (as well as Jared’s) to leave on Thursday. Jared will be taking a bus from Kitale to Nairobi; the time of the morning he will be leaving will be okay for him to pass through Eldoret without any problems. Daniel, Amanda and I will be going to Eldoret that morning as well to get me to the airport. Even if I’m at the airport hours ahead of time, I’m more than okay with that.

The Canadian High Commission has told me to call them Thursday morning so that they can provide us with up-to-date information regarding our travel route. So although, I thoroughly enjoy the thought of an adventure to send me out of Kenya and on to Canada for 4 weeks, I’m sure Daniel, Amanda and my family back home wouldn’t enjoy it. So, prayers would be greatly appreciated.

I had a lengthy conversation with a Kikuyu today. I heard his thoughts and opinions on what is going on in this country and sadness overwhelmed both of us. He was impressed with my knowledge of the current events, with my take on the tribes and tribalism and with a bit of the history that I knew of Kenya, the tribalism, the people.

I have so many thoughts/opinions but it’s not for me to share on here, not for me to share with the general public. Although I do know factual things, I am also a woman who speaks from emotions: deep and passionate emotions, my own personal emotions of all that is going on. That can sometimes be a dangerous thing.

I can’t pretend that I understand all the ins and outs of what is going on here. I can’t pretend what the years and years of tribal clashes, specifically between the Kalenjin and Kikuyu is all about. But I can’t pretend that this will eventually all be swept under the rug and everything will be fine.

In a country that says they are 80% Christians, they’re actions these past 3 weeks have told otherwise. Where’s the unity? Where’s the “loving your neighbour as yourself”? A Kalenjin man can love his Kikuyu friend 4 weeks ago, but today he is waving his bow and arrow at that same friend, chasing him away, threatening to kill him, if not already killing him. Where did God go?

I know that God is here; I see Him working but where did God go in these people’s lives? Why did they turn to the anger, the bitterness, the bows/arrows, the machetes, rather than turning to God? They chose sin; they chose violence. And now over 250,000 people are left homeless, refuges in their own country. Now there are going to be a staggering amount of women who are left as widows. Now there will be a large amount of children who are left as orphans. For what? What did all this violence accomplish?

And if some of you recently read Daniel’s blogs, the anger only continues. To think, even in the slightest bit, that all of this could have been pre-planned. This could have been orchestrated by the campaigning parties, far before Election Day. It makes me sick; it makes my heart ache. It makes me want to fight even more for the next generation of children in this country. It’s them who can make a difference in this place; if they are taught against tribalism, against hatred and racism, then perhaps Kenya can someday be a place that the world once thought they were. A peaceful African nation.

In Canada in 3.5 days!!!!
Love you all!
Meredith
xoxoxoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where is God? God is sad and watching. God did send His messages to us and gave us a brain and a heart with freewill. We have progressed scientifically, we reached the moon but mentally we are still barbarians. When ever we (human beings) get a chance we go wild, killing each other for nothing. Kenyans who are killing others are not going to get a ministers job in the parliament. In fact they are going to suffer the same way as the victims are suffering. They will have no jobs and no income. Burning the homes and businesses is not hurting the people in higher positions. It will hurt the ones who are burning.
This is my prayer now “God you tried us with free will. Take it away because we have abused it enough. Please control the hearts and thoughts of people from now on. Turn their hearts to kindness, love, unity and faith.
My prayers are also with you all (Canadians)there for a safe stay, safe journey for those coming home.
May God bless you and keep you safe and give you strength to cope with the heart breaking situation.
Best wishes from Canada