Thursday, January 17, 2008

Kenya Update...Rallies

Today was an interesting day.

I was in town today and at around 12:00 or so, I received a text message from a shop owner that I know. His message simply said, “Be careful today.” I knew that this was serious.

Shortly after that, Daniel found me as he too was in town and said, “We need to go. [Our friend] told me that the rioting is starting.” We called our taxi guy and he immediately came and got us. Within those few minutes, we could see shops closing (some already closed) and police all around. It’s like they came out of nowhere.

You could sense the rush, the tension, and the fear in the air.

Our taxi driver said that the rallying was starting soon at the local Stadium. There were also rumors of a well-known MP in the area. An MP known for “adding excitement” to these types of events. But I don’t know…just rumors.

We stayed home the remainder of the day. Through conversations with friends, town never really settled down. We’ll see how things are tomorrow.

Yesterday there were 4 rioters shot and killed by police just outside of Kitale. They were 100 rioters found with AK-47s. Where they got them, who knows. These rioters also burned over 16 homes in the area, leaving many families homeless.

There have been deaths today (and yesterday) in Nairobi (Kibera Slums), Kisumu and Mombasa. As far as I know, things in Eldoret have been okay. They had a rally yesterday, that for the most part was peaceful and an estimate of almost 1 million people were there. Some say that Eldoret was a little more crazy today.

The ODM party has said that they will continue with these rallies until the president steps down from his position. I don’t if that will ever happen (at least for the next 5 years) and so I don’t know how long these rallies will take place. I pray it’s not for very much longer.

I was in a store today and there were a few ladies talking about the current events. This one lady said, “They need to stop involving the Kenyan people and start dealing with it in the government. It is their responsibility to fix this. There has been too much blood shed and no more people should die.” I couldn’t agree more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a picture of this little boy on BBC. Here is the link.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7194744.stm
It broke my heart. I prayed for this child. I hope God will keep him safe.
Kenyans are so stupid. I am angry at Kenyans. There is no leader who will do anything for the poor public. It just doesn’t matter what tribe.
They should live together peacefully and let the rich fight among themselves for power.
I am wondering if killers are also suffering. If they have burnt shops and kiosks where will they get food from?
No brains!
I apologize for my anger and opinion on your blog but I am praying for your safety and peace in Kenya.
Hope you have a safe flight home. We have a huge dump of snow in Alberta. It is a blessing, for water and moisture.

Anonymous said...

Lord,
The Kenyan people are Your children, and Your creation. No one else knows them as well as you. Without Your guidance and direction, there can be no hope for this country so beloved by You. We ask You to turn the hearts of Kenya's leaders to You, and to seek peace for Kenya. May race/tribal boundaries be erased and let Your peace and Son reign in Kenya.