Monday, March 31, 2008

Crazy Dreamin'

Last night I had this crazy dream. Here it is.

I woke up to our dog, Rija (Rye-ja) whining, like she was being tortured. So I go to our side door and begin to whistle, knowing that they always come when I whistle because they know it’s treat time. But nothing, neither dog comes.

So I go outside to see what is going on with the dogs. I see Cusko (coo-sko) lying dead on the grass by a tree and Rija, barely alive, laying by his side, her head on his stomach, whining at the loss of her friend and the pain that she was in. I start to get a little scared, realizing that there is something incredibly wrong and I turn around to run to the house and find two men standing at the door that I so desperately wanted to get through.

I turned and ran for the guy’s house, knowing that it was open because it was being cleaned today. But they got me in time and threw me down on the gravel. They demanded on the money that I had…

I won’t get in to the details of the dream but it was a bit freaky and why I dreamt it, I don’t know. But the reason I’m telling you this is because of what happened FOR REAL this morning….

I woke up this morning and as I got out of the shower, I could hear a dog whining and it sounded like Rija. My heart started going CRAZY. I got dressed and went to the side door and began to whistle, my usual whistle for the dogs, letting them know it was treat time. But they didn’t come. I whistled two or three more times but nothing, not one dog, nothing.

So I closed and locked the door behind me, started praying and then started looking through each window of the house for any sign of the dogs and anything else that may be off. But I couldn’t see the dogs and obviously couldn’t see two or even one man (which honestly was what I was really looking for).

I went to the kitchen and grabbed the largest and scariest knife that we had, my cell phone with Bud’s phone # ready (all I had to do was push “Talk”) and unlocked the door. I tried one more time with the whistle to see if the dogs would come….NOTHING.

I opened up the metal door and walked slowly out, saying, “I have a knife and I’ll hurt you if you come near me.” And I headed in the direction of the tree, the tree in my dream where my two sweet dogs were: one dead, the other one dying. As I turned the corner, there they were my sweet dogs at the tree in my dream.

But no, they weren’t dead. They were both sitting there, staring up in to the tree. Was one of the men up in the tree? Rija was looking up in the tree, whining every so often. Cusko sat quietly looking up.

I whistled at them, they looked at me and Cusko came running toward me but Rija stayed. I headed toward the tree, knife in hand, visible to whoever was in the tree, so they knew that I meant business. Rija watched the tree, Cusko walked in front of me, looking at me then at the tree….back and forth he’d look.

I approached the tree and looked up. I saw a branch move quickly. I looked at Rija to get a sense of where she was looking. She started to whine again, circling that particular spot. I moved to where she was and looked up.

And there I saw….a family of monkeys. There was this massive monkey, HUGE, with a white beard like face and then a smaller monkey with a baby monkey on its back. The massive monkey looked down at me and in one graceful swoop, came down a few branches to get a closer look at me. He was probably thinking "who’s this nut bar with a cell phone open in one hand and a huge knife in the other?"

He looked at me for a moment; our eyes fixed on each other. And then just as fast as he came down those few branches, he was back up to be with the other two monkeys and then they jumped through all these branches, to the point where I couldn’t see them any more.

So yeah, that was my morning adventure. : )

Anyway, tomorrow I’m off to Eldoret (the airport) to pick up 5 members of a team that are coming to stay with us for two weeks. They are from California and their other two members will be arriving the week after. Pray that all goes well. It’s a jam-packed two weeks.

Love you all,

Meredith

xoxoxo

No comments: