Monday, March 17, 2008

The Loss of a Friend

The Loss of a Friend

It’s funny how yesterday I was celebrating a little girl’s first birthday and today I’m mourning the loss of a friend.

I woke up this morning, checked my email and found a message saying that my friend Barry Hall died of cancer on Sunday, March 16th, 2008 at 3:00a.m.

He turned 45 on Saturday, March 15th, 2008. His last full day on earth was spent celebrating his birthday with family and friends by his side. What a wonderful way to spend your last day.

It’s amazing how the moment you hear of someone’s death, you are suddenly filled with every possible memory of them. I remembered little details of conversations Barry and I had. I remember shortly after turning 16, he handed me the keys to his Mustang and said, “Wanna go for a ride?” And the sheer joy and excitement I felt because 1) he trusted me to drive his sweet car and 2) I was getting to drive a MUSTANG. I remember Barry giving me the “guy talks”; it was basically, “Guys that age only want 1 thing, so don’t give it to them. Besides you really shouldn’t date until your 25. But if you must date and the guy hurts you; I’ll kill him!” I remember stupid comments that he made and I would have tears pouring down my cheeks from laughing so hard at him.

And now as the tears pour down my cheeks now, I’m terribly saddened that I didn’t get to say good-bye to him. But I’m thankful for the memories that suddenly flooded my thoughts. It’s a comfort for me.

I just ask that you pray for his family during their time of mourning. And I ask that you pray for my dad. Barry was like a big brother to me but a great friend to my dad. This is going to be hard on him. Thank you.

Love you all!
Meredith
xoxoxo

No comments: